- 1955-1986 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
ca. 1200 photographs
Name of creator
On April 1st, 1978, Pacific Vocational Institute (PVI) assumed its official status as an independent crown corporation. PVI was to function under one board of industrial representatives who would maintain direct financial control, planning and operation of the institution.
Appointed by cabinet, the following individuals were named to the board of governors:
Mr. Leslie R. Redford, Frank Redder, Don Fearey, Jake Wyman, Donald Doyle, E. A. Killough, T. Wyman Trineer, T. Stuart Mathieson, and Nadine Sherwin.
The PVI Board of Governors had three senior officers:
L.R. Redford 1978-1981
T.W. Trineer 1981-1984
F. Sondergaard 1985-1986
By 1983, the school registered about 23,000 students a year. Classes consisted of accounting, aviation, business administration, clerical, marketing, construction, building service, painting and decorating, food training, graphics, photography, industrial safety, instructor training, personal development, mechanical, piping, plumbing and gas, steel, welding, drafting, electrical, industrial electronics for electricians, industrial mathematics, non-destructive testing, and refrigeration.
Henry Justesen was the sole Principal of PVI, 1978-1986.
Name of creator
In May 1961, the provincial government provided funds for further expansion. The second phase of building was completed in late 1963 allowing those classes still remaining at the PNE to move in. In 1967, increases in enrollment lead to the creation of the BCVS Burnaby Lake Division. Located in rented facilities in the Pit Par Buildings at Winston St in Burnaby, the Burnaby Lake Division included Electrical, Ironworking, Boilermaking and Appliance Servicing training. In September 1967, Machinists’ Training was added to the BCVS Burnaby Campus.
BCVS initially offered fourteen courses which ranged from six months for most trades, to two years for aeronautics. Classes were divided into pre- apprenticeship, to prepare the student for employment as an apprentice; apprenticeship to give indentured apprentices further training; pre-employment to give individuals entry into skilled work areas of industry; and upgrading to provide training in special areas for journeymen already working in the field.
On July 9, 1976 a directive was issued by the Ministry of Education to the Superintendent of Post-secondary Programs, Henry Justesen to prepare reports and recommendations on vocational training in British Columbia. The subsequent recommendations, combined with recommendations from the Provincial Government’s Commission on Vocational –Technical and Trades Training in British Columbia, headed by Dean Goard Sr., recommended a new vocational institute be formed. Major components of the proposed institute would be the British Columbia Vocational School in Burnaby and the Haney Educational in Maple Ridge. Dr. Walter Hardwick, Deputy Minister of Education, formally named Henry Justesen as Chief Executive Officer of the new institute.
In March 1977 a five member British Columbia Vocational School Advisory Board was appointed by Education Minister Dr, Pat McGreer, to oversee the development of the new institute. Mr. Leslie R. Redford was named as Chairman of the Advisory Board. Other members included Frank Redder, Don Fearey, Jake Wyman, and Donald Doyle. The Board met once a month. In anticipation of the future merger, the Haney Educational Centre was renamed the “Pacific Vocational Institute - Maple Ridge Campus” in May 1977. On September 27, 1977, Bill 82 – The Colleges and Provincial Institutes Act was given Royal Assent by the British Columbia legislature. Under Part III of the Act, the Lieutenant Governor in Council could now designate Provincial Institutes.
Principals of BCVS were:
Colonel John W. Inglis 1960-1966
Mr. Lorne Smith 1966- 1976
Mr. J. Cooper 1976-1978