- 1955-1971 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
ca. 1000 photographs
Name of creator
In 1960 the British Columbia Vocational School for trades training opened in BC in 1960. The British Columbia Premier at the time was Hon. W.A.C. Bennett, he gave the address at the opening ceremonies.
In May 1961, the provincial government provided funds for further expansion. The second phase of building was completed in late 1963 allowing those classes still remaining at the PNE to move in. In 1967, increases in enrollment lead to the creation of the BCVS Burnaby Lake Division. Located in rented facilities in the Pit Par Buildings at Winston St in Burnaby, the Burnaby Lake Division included Electrical, Ironworking, Boilermaking and Appliance Servicing training. In September 1967, Machinists’ Training was added to the BCVS Burnaby Campus.
BCVS initially offered fourteen courses which ranged from six months for most trades, to two years for aeronautics. Classes were divided into pre- apprenticeship, to prepare the student for employment as an apprentice; apprenticeship to give indentured apprentices further training; pre-employment to give individuals entry into skilled work areas of industry; and upgrading to provide training in special areas for journeymen already working in the field.
On July 9, 1976 a directive was issued by the Ministry of Education to the Superintendent of Post-secondary Programs, Henry Justesen to prepare reports and recommendations on vocational training in British Columbia. The subsequent recommendations, combined with recommendations from the Provincial Government’s Commission on Vocational –Technical and Trades Training in British Columbia, headed by Dean Goard Sr., recommended a new vocational institute be formed. Major components of the proposed institute would be the British Columbia Vocational School in Burnaby and the Haney Educational in Maple Ridge. Dr. Walter Hardwick, Deputy Minister of Education, formally named Henry Justesen as Chief Executive Officer of the new institute.
In March 1977 a five member British Columbia Vocational School Advisory Board was appointed by Education Minister Dr, Pat McGreer, to oversee the development of the new institute. Mr. Leslie R. Redford was named as Chairman of the Advisory Board. Other members included Frank Redder, Don Fearey, Jake Wyman, and Donald Doyle. The Board met once a month. In anticipation of the future merger, the Haney Educational Centre was renamed the “Pacific Vocational Institute - Maple Ridge Campus” in May 1977. On September 27, 1977, Bill 82 – The Colleges and Provincial Institutes Act was given Royal Assent by the British Columbia legislature. Under Part III of the Act, the Lieutenant Governor in Council could now designate Provincial Institutes.
Principals of BCVS were:
Colonel John W. Inglis 1960-1966
Mr. Lorne Smith 1966- 1976
Mr. J. Cooper 1976-1978
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Series consists of prints and related materials documenting the activities in the various areas of study at BCVS. Some photographs have been marked up indicating that they may have been used in publications.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
As far as the Archivist is able to determine these materials arrived in the BCIT Archives arranged alphabetically with similar headings to the negatives labelled 'School photographs A-Z.'
BCIT Archives does not hold negatives for all of the prints in this series.
*BCIT Legacy ID numbers are sporadically recorded on the prints in this series. It is difficult therefore to match them with an original negative or determine if the original exists in the BCIT Archives holdings. Some of the BCIT Legacy ID numbers on these photographs do not match the negatives in the collection.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Please contact the Archivist for access.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Some duplication of the materials in: C23-s03 School photographs A through Z - contact prints 1955-1971 series 3
Related units of description
At an unknown date a note was added to Bay 24, shelf B, box 130 that folders 8 and 9 were moved to BCIT Historical photograph collection box 9. 2013-11-08 C. McLellan noted that these two folders were missing and not in box 9. 2016-02-20 C. McLellan noted that some (but not all) photographs that were given the location of Bay 24, shelf B, box 130, folder 8 appear to be located at Bay 19, shelf C, box 10, folder 2 2016-02-20 C. McLellan noted that some (but not all) photographs that were given the location of Bay 24, shelf B, box 130, folder 9 appear to be located at Bay 19, shelf C, box 9, folder 6
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
C. McLellan, created 2019-03-01